Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wang's roots

Today I shall tell you a story about my ancestry and how my last name came to be. Sorry, but this will be quite a pointless post to the people I've already told this to.

I'd like to call this story, 'The Wang Legacy'
Once upon a time, a long long time ago in ancient China, my ancestors' lastname was 'fung'. However, they had committed some kind of crime and the emperor sent his soldiers to execute the whole family, including all relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents), so the lastname would never live on. If a family committed a crime, the whole family and relatives would be executed. So all the relatives got killed, except for one...-dramatic music plays- he managed to escape to the fishing village of ningbo and changed his last name from fung, to a much more common lastname, wang to avoid risk of being caught. With little possessions and money he managed to start a simple, poor peasant life. It stayed like this, until after a few generations one confident young boy was born. Now we don't know if this part is entirely true, but family history has it that he walked from ningbo to Shanghai (the big city) in the middle of winter with nothing but the clothes on his back (bear grylls style!) and a pair of shoes, seeking fortune and a better life. Although he had a pair of shoes, those shoes cost quite a lot of money, so he saved those shoes and walked bare footed in the snow. My relatives live in Shanghai till this day, and my dad came to Australia to have me and seek a better life.

Sources: My dad, one lazy sunday afternoon with those -father and son- talks, that happened to stumble on my oh so controversial last name. My dad heard this story from his dad who got it from his dad who got it from his dad etc etc.
Okay Idk if the ningo -> shanghai bit is entirely true, but hey we're in Shanghai now! In fact the whole story itself may have been a tad contorted over the generations, but it's something along the lines of that.

If you're bored and have nothing else to do, you should ask your parents about your ancestral roots, hey you never know, you might just learn something interesting about yourself like I did! (:

No comments: