Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Shanghainese FOOD!

chuy hollow|
































It's a human hollow! This is soo awesome (: especially if you watch bleach.

Now to the main topic of the day. Shanghainese food!! (:
Now I will go through a unique list of asiany/shanghainesey food that I eat. This will be fun, if you're asian you can do a mental check off of the food I talk about, if you have ever eaten it.

Note: the foods translated into english just does not sound as appealing.
- Preserved tofu:
This looks like tofu is made out of soy beans, but it's been preserved in a salty brine. Usually it's topped off with chilli paste. The texture is kindof creamy and harder than normal tofu. Basically it's off tofu (but hey, yoghurt is essentially just off milk isn't it?) I eat this weekly with rice porridge. Tastes pretty good if i say so myself. (first image)

- Sichuan preserved vegetables:
Basically some sort of root vegetable preserved in a pepper and salt brine. It has a brownish- green tinge to it and looks like some kind of rotten vegetable to the untrained eye. It's very salty and tastes a bit bitter. (second image)

- Bamboo shoots:
I think almost every asian would have eaten bamboo shoots. Yes I know BAMBOO is a type of wood and can be used to make furniture, but the Shoots are really soft crunchy and nice :) they can practically be sweet, salty or bitter. (third image)

- Preserved citrus peels:
Dried mandarin/ orange skins with salt and sugar. Tastes pretty good (and cheap ^^) The citrus-y zest gives it a nice twang to it. YOu truly have to be ashun to eat this. (last image)

P.S. I can say all these in shanghainese, but i can't really say it on a blog now can I? ehehe.


No comments: